Sunday, November 20, 2011

Banking on It

Last week I bought a metal bank at the Westlake Goodwill. I didn't really need it, but I thought it looked interesting. It's a little old-timey car.



To deposit coins, you drop them in the slot at the bottom. Getting your money out requires unscrewing four screws.


While the bank looked old, it didn't look like an antique, so I didn't think it must be worth much. However, while I was in Lynchburg last Thursday evening, I went into an antique store on Main Street and saw a similar bank. It was a different car model, but the color and the metal were the same. It was marked $20. I asked the proprietress about it; she said that it was more likely "vintage" than antique.

On Friday, I did a bit of Googling. Banthrico Inc. of Chicago made a lot of model car banks. Earlier the company was Banker's Thrift. Apparently, during the 50s (and probably earlier), the banks had keys. Since mine has screws, it must not date back that far. Yep, vintage but not antique.

I found the little car bank on eBay for $22.50 . . .



. . . and for $19.95  (although the wheels on this one don't look in very good shape). . .
. . . and for $75!


I guess I did all right by paying $1.99 for mine.
~


1 comment:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

The thing is will you SAVE some money in it?